I still have this wretched Superbug, BUT I survived the week! Still coughing and sputtering but my energy has started to return slowly. That means I have a tiny bit of energy to put towards The Do-Over Project. Yeah for me!
I’ve lost a week and I’m not happy about it, but I’ve gotta roll with it! Like every setback, I’ve learned some valuable lessons:
- Life doesn’t revolve around me! Whether or not I “get in the game,” life doesn’t care or judge. If I want to sleep on my couch for the rest of my days, life is impartial. The world still turns. That’s why it’s up to me to change my life. I’m the one who has to get up off the couch and do something (okay, when I’m better!).
- Although it seems like lying on the couch all day watching old sitcoms is the ideal life, it’s not as fun as it sounds. In fact, it’s dead boring!! It’s OK for a day or two, but after that? Call me Stir Crazy! And, lying around like that reminded me how much I actually LIKE being active, getting out there, learning new things, meeting people and and even getting into a little bit of trouble now and again!!
- The more time I spend ON the couch is correlated to my future ability to get up OFF the couch. Those quick twinges here and there now begin to linger if I don’t move my body, and pretty soon I can’t get off the couch! A very fit woman in her 70’s once told me, “Do as much as you can for as long as you can”. Best advice ever!
- Assume there are going to be set-backs. That way they won’t freak you out when they arise. And they will arise, my friends! But so what? So you didn’t reach your goals flawlessly? Boo hoo! Who’s keeping score anyway? Goals are tough–they should be! Just keep at it and success will come–eventually! If you stop trying the moment you’re imperfect (aka human), you’ll never get what you really want. And why not? You’re chasing the dream of perfection, not the dream that’s in your heart.
- Being sick forced me to stop and recalculate. Lying around all that time, I couldn’t help but think. Some of those thoughts went to The Do-Over Project. Am I doing too much? Are my goals realistic? Are they the ones I truly want to pursue? Taking stalk is always a good thing.
- The average human produces 1-2 litres of mucus every day–and as much as 4 litres (1 gallon)!!! Holy snot, Batman! Did you know that? I didn’t! AND, when you have a cold, it’s not that you make more mucus, it’s that it’s…thicker!! I know, really gross, but haven’t you always wondered how much is actually there?!
Moral of the story? Stay healthy, learn from your set backs and move on.
Now, repeat after me: I love set backs!