Why am I so exhausted? That’s what’s been on my mind lately.
At first I was whining, “Oh, it’s cuz I’m getting older…I’m an old lady of 53 with no energy…boo hoo!”
But after the pity party, I realized it has nothing to do with my age. Let’s see:
- Monday, I’m in grief counselling
- Tuesday, I (force myself to) go to singing lessons (because of the grief I haven’t enjoyed the things I love as much, but I kept going and the joy is finally returning)
- Wednesday, I have off (but not really!)
- Thursday, I go to neurofeedback (more counselling)
- Friday, is date night with my husband
- Saturday, is running around down (groceries, errands)
- Sunday, is climbing in the morning (sometimes walking group too) and then house chores
But that’s not all! During the week I also have to find time to:
- write in my journal daily (finding one thing that brings me joy, post a positive Facebook video, etc.)
- do my short workout at least 4 times a week
- run at least 4 times per week
- write this blog once a week
- meditate for 1 hour 6 times per week
- do my therapy homework (usually Wednesday)
- fit in other appointments since I committed to getting health issues cleared up
That doesn’t include other positive activities to get things on track such as social time with friends or duties like checking in on my parents and other family members or working on our fixer-upper house. Oh and there’s the day job thing too!!
But I’ve realized that it’s not all of the above that’s taking a toll on me. No, I’m exhausted from the constant processing. I am going through probably the biggest transition of my life with the Do-Over Project and my mind, body and soul are constantly working. I’m absorbing the lessons I’m learning, applying them to my life every day. It’s a full time job!
I’m not complaining. I’m very glad I’ve taken on this project. But I’ve realized I have to give myself a break. Be gentle with myself. Not beat myself up for not getting more done.
If you’re going through a change in your life, don’t underestimate how difficult processing change is. Give yourself a break!